Protect You and Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Cars, stoves, gas ranges, fireplaces, and furnaces all produce carbon monoxide because they burn fuel. If carbon monoxide builds up, people can be poisoned. This is why carbon monoxide detection is extremely important in keeping people safe. Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, so a person isn’t usually aware that they are being poisoned.
The key to avoiding CO poisoning is to become aware and know how to prevent the dangerous gas from building up in the home or business. Below are some tips for preventing being poisoned by CO.
Preventing CO Poisoning in Your Home or Business
Stick to the following and you can greatly reduce the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Running vehicles should never be left in garages or enclosed areas, even if the door is open.
- Use the flue when using your fireplace. Also, make sure the chimney is cleaned annually.
- Never use generators indoors because of lack of ventilation. Generators are meant to run outside via extension cords.
- Never heat your home with your oven.
- Portable stoves, charcoal stoves, or camp stoves should never be used indoors.
- Fuel-burning appliances need vents that lead to the outside.
- The HVAC system should be inspected yearly to ensure it is in good working order and that the ventilation is fine.
- A carbon monoxide detector needs to be placed on every floor of the home, particularly around the bedrooms. These detectors should have battery backup so they are operational during power outages.
- Have a security system installed that can detect carbon monoxide. This is a great form of carbon monoxide detection because emergency services can be immediately notified. That way, if you and your family are sleeping and the system detects carbon monoxide, a potentially fatal situation can be stopped in its tracks. Unfortunately, people most commonly die from carbon monoxide poisoning in their sleep.
Know the Symptoms
It is also good to know the symptoms, which include:
- Breathing issues
If you experience any of these symptoms, go outside immediately to see if the symptoms resolve.
Protect Your Family – Talk to Our Rochester, Buffalo, and Syracuse Home Security Company
Home security is more than just an alarm system that sounds when an intruder attempts to come through a door or window. Home security means protecting your family or your business from threats like fire, flood, and carbon monoxide. To learn more and to request a free quote, call SPS Fire & Security at 585-770-0348 today or complete the contact form below.