Exercising Personal Safety & Security While On the Road
The use of ride sharing services in Upstate New York is on the rise. More people are using these services because of convenience and the fact that this service has more privacy than the public transportation system. Ride sharing works well for when a person needs a designated driver or when the car is in the shop. It’s an affordable way to get a ride when it is needed.
However, not all ride sharing services verify the driver’s license of their drivers or criminal records and this is a personal security risk. If you read the small print on the company website, you will find that the ride sharing company isn’t responsible for the safety of the vehicle or really anything about the driver. The company most likely doesn’t verify insurance coverage either.
It is all up to you to make an informed decision that can have an impact on your personal safety.
The good news, however, is that bad things don’t often happen with ride sharing services. The bad news is that a quick Google News search will show some incidents. Nonetheless, ride sharing is growing fast because it’s extremely useful.
But you can never be too careful.
Vetting Your Driver
The best way to ensure your safety and security with a ride sharing service is to vet the driver. When you request service, you are most likely going to be connected with information about the driver.
So do these things before you ride:
- Verify the driver. Look at their user profile to see how many rides they’ve completed and the type of feedback they have received.
- Send a message or begin a conversation over chat. This helps you to get to know your driver.
- Make sure you plan ahead. Know exactly where you are going so you can let the driver know. You should also notify your family and friends that you are using a ride sharing service and what route you will be taking. You ARE the navigator.
- Pick a public meeting place to be picked up and choose a public place to be dropped off.
- If you don’t feel safe, simply don’t go. You’re not obligated to get into the car.
- If your plans change or your route changes, text a friend or family member.
- If there is a reason to be concerned for your safety, contact law enforcement.
Putting Your Safety First in Rochester, Syracuse, and Buffalo
Whether at home or on the road, your safety and security come first. Never do anything you don’t feel right about. Ride sharing services can make life run a little smoother, but never sacrifice your safety in any area of your life. For example, you can make things more secure at home through a security system, surveillance cameras, motion sensors, and other features. By calling SPS Fire & Security, you can learn about how to secure your home as part of your journey toward securing your life. Give us a call today at 585-770-0348 or complete the contact form below.