Top 7 Tips to Protect Your Home This Christmas
Black Friday is over and that means there are gifts in homes waiting to be revealed on Christmas Day. Unfortunately, burglars expect this. They expect that a majority of people did a great deal of shopping on Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday.
What’s the first thing a burglar looks for? A home without a security system.
What’s the second thing they look for? The occupants to not be home so they can get inside and see what’s under that tree.
The closer you get to Christmas, the higher the odds of becoming the victim of a burglar become, especially on Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve is when you leave your home to celebrate with family, which means gifts are left under the tree unattended for a long time.
Fortunately, you can protect your home and purchases.
Home Security Tips for the Christmas Season
- Motion sensors, flood lights, video surveillance, or a home security system throughout your entire home can make all the difference in the world. When a burglar sees cameras or evidence that a home security system is in place, they move on.
- Don’t feed extension cords through windows because that leaves them partially open
- Ensure doors and windows are secure when leaving. Install dead-bolts if you don’t have any.
- Keep blinds, curtains, or drapes closed, especially when the tree and the presents underneath it are visible. Valuables should always be out of sight of windows.
- Don’t hide keys under door mats, in flower pots, or under stones. Burglars know this trick very well.
- If you are going to be gone for an extended period, have a neighbor park their car in your driveway or arrange for gifts to be stored with someone you trust.
- You may want to keep receipts until after the holidays, so lock them away in a safe, file cabinet, or fireproof box. Burglars have been known to dig through the trash. If you must throw away receipts, shred them.
Rochester, Syracuse & Buffalo Residents – Protect Your Home All Year Round!
At SPS Fire & Security, we can help you protect your home at Christmas, New Year’s, and all year round. While burglaries climb during the Christmas season, they can happen anytime. It’s good to always be prepared. Call 585-770-0348 to find out how you can affordably protect your home.