Have Your Best and Safest Year Yet!
The New Year is fast approaching, which means it’s time to make your New Year’s resolutions. One of those resolutions should involve enhancing home security. Fortunately, making this resolution a success is easier than you may think.
Tips for a Successful New Year’s “Security” Resolution
Making a “home security” resolution isn’t as difficult as sticking to a diet or a financial plan. Here are some tips that will keep you and your family safe in 2018:
- If there is a flyer on your front door, remove it as soon as possible. Sometimes, burglars will put flyers on doors to see if a person is home. If a flyer isn’t removed after a day or so, the burglar sees that as a sign that the occupants are long gone. Arrange for family or friends to pick up your mail and remove any flyers or other items that make it obvious you’re not home.
- Install timers on indoor and outdoor lights so they come on at night. However, you can change things up with a home automation system that enables you to control your lights from wherever you are. For instance, turn on and off different lights at different times to make it look like someone is home.
- Take those leftover boxes from Christmas to a recycling center or make sure they are cut up into small pieces so they can fit inside a garbage bag. When a burglar sees that plasma TV box sitting out with the trash, they know there’s a plasma TV in the house.
- Even if you trust your social media connections, don’t post when you aren’t home or when you’ll be away for long periods of time. It’s tempting to post those vacation photos, but you need to wait and post them after you return home.
- Fix those loose door jams. Did you know that 70% of break-ins are successful because the burglars are able to kick in the doors? It’s inexpensive to reinforce the door jam.
- Come up with creative hiding places for your valuables. Never leave valuable items in places that can be seen through windows. If you can do it, a safe in the floor or hiding behind a picture on the wall may not be a bad idea.
- Get a home security system with 24/7 monitoring so that your home is always protected. Today’s security alarm systems also alert of fire and carbon monoxide. There are also smartphone apps that let you monitor your system yourself so you know what’s going on at any given time. If you’re REALLY feeling the need for even more added security, video surveillance is an affordable option.
- Make sure the bad guys know that you have a home security system in place that will catch them if they even attempt to break into your abode.
Your Rochester, Syracuse & Buffalo Home Security Experts
At SPS Fire & Security, we want you to have an amazing holiday season and the best 2018 possible. By protecting your home, business, or anything else important to you, you are creating more security in your life. To learn more, call us at 585-770-0348,
MAY YOU HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY 2018!